Friday, January 4, 2013

A Fresh Mantle

Now that you have probably dis-mantled your mantle from the Holidays, why not give it a fresh new look? I dare you to do something different, even if that means simply rearranging the stuff that is currently on there. The mantle should be the focal point to any room so it's ok to give it the attention it deserves. One trick I like to do on mantles is layering so it doesn't seem so flat and unimpressive. Make it stick out and pop by adding layers and dimension to the space.

Here are some mantles I found on pinterest that do the layering thing right:
 


 

 
The mantle is also a place where I think you should personalize rather than formalize. If your mantle is in a casual living space, chalkboards or a print with your family verse or saying on it is fun. A big metal letter that is your initial is unexpected. A canvas of an unpoised picture of your kids running in the field or just doing something random will make it come to life. Think outside the box and have fun with it!



This is random but I like the idea of it... This picture of Duke's hands would make a great canvas above our mantle during the spring time. It is unexpected and different. This would be a good reminder to me that my kids are growing fast and to cherish these sweet moments with them.

Pinned Image
 
 


 
If you are drawn to simplicity, then gather old bottles and fill them with fresh greens. It will not only add dimension but also a nice texture.
 


It is also fun to use vases to  bring in your favorite seasonal color!
 
 

Pinned Image
 

This was my mantle from my old house, I thought the fresh greenery was needed to add some movement to the space because my mantle was so heavy.
 
 



Old books are another way to add layers and bring some color in to the space. Below are two mantles I have decorated using old books. I like the black against the white, the colors are subtle yet they offer a bold statement.
 
 




As you can see, there is balance with the objects but also balance with the color. It is not heavier on one side than the other, it is symmetrical but dimensional.
 
I would love to see your mantles! Send me pics! joannastevensgaines@gmail.com